So I bought a car. Since I know little nothing about cars, I decided to purchase said vehicle in North Carolina so Papa Lo could help me. I then had to drive the car back to Provo. Luckily I have super great friends who agreed to meet in NC and make the long trek back to Happy Valley. Our route took us through Charlotte, Atlanta, Fort Worth, and Colorado Springs. 

In Atlanta we took a trip to Olympic Park, the Atlanta Underground, and the Atlanta Temple. In the park we tossed around the frisbee and boiled in the hot southern sun. We then headed a half mile further into the city to the Underground to grab lunch and see what it was all about. The food was delicious! I also bought some pralines (which if you've never had them you should definitely find some, eat them, and love them). Aside from the food I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by the Underground. It was not at all what I was expecting. The temple, on the other hand, was perfect! It was beautiful, peaceful, and the perfect end to a long day :) From the temple we headed to our lodings fro the night, stopped at a lake, and called it a day. 

Atlanta Temple

Angel Moroni

The next day we had a long, long drive ahead of us. Twelve hours to be exact. To help break up the stretch between Atlanta and Dallas, we made a short pit stop in Birmingham. We stopped at the 16th Street Baptist Church, the site of a Civil Rights era bombing. The church is beautiful! After our short stop we drove straight through to Dallas. We had tickets to a Texas Rangers game and we didn't want to miss the whole thing. We arrived during the fourth inning, but still got to sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the seventh inning stretch, so it was still worth it. The Rangers lost, but it was a really close game. Still kind of a win win.

16th St Baptist Church

Dal and Ben, all tuckered out

A boy's best friend...the baseball diamond
The next morning we had a breakfast of pancakes and oj before getting on the road. We stopped in Amarillo for lunch. Dallas had found a restaurant called "The Big Texan." If you're ever in Amarillo, you have to stop. The Big Texan has a food challenge: a 72oz. steak in less than one hour. While we were there there was a man trying to beat it. He didn't quite make it, but it was a valiant effort. From lunch it was a straight shot to Colorado. Unfortunately, the A/C went out somewhere around the New Mexico border. Finally, we pulled into our final stopping point for the night. We stayed with an amazing family who treated us like their own kids home from college.

The last day was probably my favorite. We went to church at a local ward and then headed to Manitou Springs to hike the Manitou Incline. The Incline is a trail built over the top of an old railroad track. It goes pretty much straight up Pike's Peak. Hands down the hardest hike I have ever done! At one point I wasn't sure I was going to make it up...definitely the elevation... The view from the top was well worth the trek :)

After we finished the Incline we piled in the car and headed for Provo. Around Vail we hit a blizzard, literally a blizzard! The day before we drove in 100 degree weather and now we were in a blizzard. After safely passing through the mountains we made it to Provo, safe and sound. 

A little bit of Israel in Colorado!

Stairway to heaven 
Finally at the top
Four days, 2,400 miles,5 cities late...we're all still friends :)  

Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.