This weekend I finally had time to do some sewing, beyond just hemming something. I'm a fairly novice sewer so I didn't want to do anything too crazy. I did some blog surfing and and found a project that I wanted to try: throw pillows. I've wanted to spruce up my room for some time now and this was an easy way to do it.

The process was super super simple. Here's what you need:

-Pillow insert (you can really use any size)
-Fabric
-Thread
-Measuring tape

Measure the width and height of the pillow. Mine was a 16" square pillow. Cut out your front panel with a 1/4" allowance. For the back panel you're going to create a pocket that you can slip your pillow into. I cut out my fabric so it was 3/4 the height of my pillow, again allowing 1/4" for a seam. My two back panels were 12 1/2" tall and 16 1/2" wide.

After you cut out your pieces it's pretty easy going. I ironed my pieces to make sure they were nice and flat. I started with my back panels. I folded down the top portion about an inch, ironed in a crease, and put in two seams, about 1/4" apart. The second seam was just for decoration. I did the same thing on the other back panel. Now it's time to sew the front and back together. Put the three pieces together so the patterned sides are facing each other and put in a seam 1/4" in from the edge of the fabric. After you've stitched around the entire perimeter simply turn your pillow inside out and slip your insert in!


Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram