Earlier this summer,  I was invited to apply to be a Peer Mentor at BYU's Foundations of Leadership Conference (FOL). I was so excited when I was selected and couldn't wait to meet my freshman.  My FOL adventure began last Saturday.  We had a training meeting for all Peer Mentors.  I was paired up with a young man who got home from his mission a few moths ago.  We hit it off immediately and I began to get even more excited.  Towards the end of the training they told us about the last activity that we would be doing with our groups.  It was an object lesson about confronting our fears to achieve our goals.  To physically demonstrate this purpose, each of the participants were going to break a board.  They asked for a volunteer to show us how it was done, so, naturally, I volunteered.  I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to do it.  After a few practice shots, I went for it and.....it broke!!! I was a little surprised but my hand hurt like crazy! However, it was a well worth it :)

On Monday morning it was time to get the show rolling.  I anxiously awaited my freshman to arrive and one-by-one they started coming in.  It was just as amazing as I thought it would be!! I have always wanted to do something like this so I could hardly believe that it was happening. I was so impressed with all of them! We had eleven students in our group and each one was great in their own way.  After we were all assembled we headed up to Apsen Grove for a full day of games and training.  We played at the ropes course and on the fields.  We did everything from standing on a sewer top to trying to fill a bucket with water spewing from the ground.  It was the perfect day! 

Tuesday was another full day.  I don't think I have ever been so tired in my whole life! We had a delicious breakfast of waffles and strawberries then it was time for training.  I had the wonderful opportunity to sit on classes taught by some of BYU's finest teachers.  I am so grateful to attend a university who puts so much emphasis on student development.  These wonderful professors took time away from their families to improve the lives of these incoming freshman.  Also on Tuesday I had the opportunity to teach several lessons to my amazing students.  I have only taught a few times but I loved this time.  I was so impressed with the things they had to say and contribute.  I learned much more from them than they did from me.  They all had wonderful insights that I never would have to been to develop myself.  It was such a blessing to be able to spend time with them.  

The last activity of Tuesday night was the Night Adventure.  Travis and I blindfolded each of our students and led them away from group spot.  After arriving to our designated place we split each of them up and allowed them to be by themselves for a few minutes.  We then began to sing in hopes that they would each move towards us until we were all together again.  Although things did not go exactly as we planned it was still an incredible experience! As we discussed the what happened from the time we blind folded them I again was humbled to be in their presence.  Their faith and knowledge of the gospel is astounding! I was edified and uplifted as I listened to each of their testimonies.

We parted ways this morning.  It was a bittersweet experience.  I am so excited for the adventures and opportunities that lie ahead of them.  I am so blessed! What a privilege it was to spend just a few days with these amazing sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. They will do great things and I am so grateful that I got to be a small part of their journey! Yay for FOL :) 

My arm after breaking the board

It hurt....

The Blue Ivies....aka the best group everrrrr

Group! 

Look at that face

The Dance
Me and my lovely ladies

And the boys!


The whole group

Dancing
  

Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram