A few weeks ago I finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. I was a little sad when I finished; it felt like I was saying goodbye to a good friend. I read a lot...a lot and this was one of the best books I have ever read.

I have seen the movie more times than I can count and was expecting something very similar. The further I got into the plot the more apparent it became that this was going to be a very different experience from the movie, so if you want to use the movie as a reference you should pick a different book. Part of me was hoping the two would be similar because the plot gets complicated.

Dumas has a wonderful ability to spin a very complex story. His characters have incredible depth and personality. Monte Cristo's desire for revenge is palpable in the first few chapters of the book. The author's attention to detail is enviable. Several times during my read I had to look up the characters on Wikipedia because I couldn't remember who was who and who was in love with, etc. 

The Count of Monte Cristo is wonderful book. It's full of adventure, revenge, and provides a glimpse of French society. It's a quick read unlike some of the other classics. By all accounts, I think it should be on everyone's book list. 

Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram