I had been home exactly 32 hours when my mother asked me to make dinner. If she had asked me right after my high school graduation I would have laughed at the hilarity of the request. At that time of my life my cooking skills stretched all the way to grilled cheese and tomato soup. Fast forward one college education and my skills have greatly improved. 

As soon as she asked I did what 99% of other girls do and headed to Pinterest. I have a cooking board that is full of zillions of recipes and I figure that it's time I start working through them. After scrolling for what seemed like hours, I finally settled on a summer sandwich. One of my favorite things about summer is all the fresh fruit and veggies that are in season! Since I was making dinner for other people I decided that should probably incorporate some meat into this meal. I absolutely looooved this recipe! I made a salad to go with it and it was perfect. It was surprising filling too!

Sandwich

1 Avocado, sliced

8 Slices of whole grain bread

1 Carton of spreadable goat cheese

Arugula and/or spinach

Deli turkey

Salt and Pepper

Start by spreading the goat cheese on each slice of bread, then layer the turkey, arugula, and avocado slices. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top and cook like a grilled cheese on the stove. So easy :) You can also cook it on a panini press.

Salad

I had a roommate who made this salad all the time and I absolutely love it. It is so easy and so delicious--crisp and fresh. 

stock red romaine lettuce

1 carton of blueberries

1 carton of strawberries

1 small red onion

1/2 cup of candied pecans

Feta cheese

Apple cider vinegar dressing

Chop the romaine, strawberries, and onion and combine with the blueberries. Sprinkle on the feta and pecans, then drizzle on the dressing.

Candied Pecans

In a small saucepan combine equal parts butter and brown sugar (I usually do about 4 tbs of each to 1/2 of pecans) and bring to a boil. Add the pecans and stir until thick. Pour onto a tinfoil-lined pan to cool and then chop into smaller pieces.

Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing

Combine equal parts olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste and drizzle over your favorite salad!

Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram