There are few things in life as satisfying as a good book. It's quickly becoming the season of winter nights, cozy blankets, and a cuppa tea--all of which are better when paired with something divine to read. I always seem to be in the middle of several books at a time, but here are a few I've read recently that are well worth your time.

Caraval

I heard about this book from another blogger that I follow and immediately rushed out to the library to pick it up. You'll find it in the YA section, but don't let that deter you. Caraval is full of adventure, magic, and intrigue. I sped through it in a matter of days and was a little heartbroken when it ended because it was simply fantastic. 

The Miracle of Dunkirk

Prior to the movie that came out this summer, I was unfamiliar with the story of Dunkirk and the British evacuation. I loved the movie and wanted to know more about it. A friend of mine who is the epitome of a history buff recommended this book by Walter Lord. The set up of the battles prior to the evacuation can be a little confusing for those not as familiar with the details of the early war, but the maps included at the beginning help. My respect and admiration for all of those involved grew. The sheer grit and determination of the Brits was just incredible. All in all, it's a relatively light read for a World War II piece. 

Murder on the Orient Express

Agatha Christie, the queen of mystery. With the movie coming out in early November, I wanted to read the book prior to seeing the film. I've read some of Agatha Christie before and some of her work is a little too creepy for my taste. Murder on the Orient Express, however, is perfect for even the most timid of readers. It's a short read and moves pretty quickly. That being said, don't get your hopes up for any deep character development because there's very little. It's charming and has an excellent twist at the end. 

All the Light We Cannot See

I read this book with a book club that I'm in and it is one of the best books I have read all year. The prose is so beautiful and the story is heartbreaking is the best way. I found myself laughing and crying and praying that more pages would be added as I got closer to the end. This one does start out a little slowly. I had actually started to read this book last year and put it aside because it didn't grab me. But stick with it!! The small trudge at the beginning will be worth the effort.

Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram