With the freezing temps in Boston lately, my life has been made up of cuddly blankets, long books, lit candles, and endless cups of herbal tea. The Danes have a word for this: hygge. And I am all about it.
Hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) is about creating warmth, coziness, and enjoying the winter. But don't think you have to go to Denmark to enjoy hygge. Since moving to New England, I've gone from dreading winter to anticipating it, relishing it even.

Consider this your starter kit:

Soft Lighting

With lighting you're going for that soft, golden light. String up some twinkle lights around your window and abandon the overhead light completely. And bring out the candles. I'm a fan of lining my window sill with candles. A friend sent me this one that smells particularly lovely. 

Cozy Blankets

Is there anything better than wrapping up in a soft, heavy blanket? I'm a fan of a nice faux fur--one that tickles your cheek as you wrap up. And the heavier the better. 

Long Books

Ok, the book doesn't have to be long to be hygge, but it helps! I'm tackling War & Peace and Testament of Youth at the moment. Find an old classic or a pluck a brand new one off the shelf. The point is enjoyment, so if you pick one you don't love, toss it aside and grab a new one!

Warm Tea

I'm an absolute herbal tea addict. I'm partial to the minty and chamomiles ones, but really any will do. I'm also a sucker for gorgeous china. About once a winter I pop into Anthropologie and pick up one of their pretty mugs. I love wrapping my hands a steaming mug with my book in my lap. 

Sweaters & Socks

What is the coziest thing you could wear? A heavy knit sweater. I like to think of the hygge uniform as a cable knit sweater, thick leggings, and fair isle socks. So splurge on those socks you've been eying and cozy up. 


Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram