If you've known me for any amount of time, you'll know that donuts are my favorite food. High-end, low-end, I love them all. There are several legendary donut shops in Boston so I did the only responsible thing: planned a day to go to all of them.
Not wanting to have to be rolled home, I decided to get one glazed donut and one flavored donut at each stop and only took a couple bites of each. By the end of the day I had a backseat full of half eaten donuts 🙈

The first stop on the tour was Twin Donuts, a local staple in Allston. With a neon sign straight off the set of Grease, it's a cozy little joint with a full breakfast menu.



The dough is nice a chewy, with just a hint of nutmeg that I really love. For the non-gourmet set that we went to, Twin Donuts took the cake (donut).

Next we stopped at Blackbird Donuts. OH MY GOSH. I hate to spoil it in the middle of the post, but these just might be the best donuts I've ever had. Ever.


The glazed donut was perfection itself. Perfectly chewy with a glaze that wasn't overly sticky. The real triumph here were the citrus glaze cake donut and the guava glaze donut. Both were the perfect balance of tangy and sweet.





I can't say enough good things about Blackbird. Just go. And order one of everything.

From Blackbird, we trekked to the Financial District to visit Kanes Donuts.


The presentation was second to none. An Instagrammers dream really.




Now, this next comment might be controversial buuuuuuuut, I didn't love Kane's. A Boston legend, but I really didn't think it was anything special. The creme brûlée donut left much to be desired, but it did look pretty.


From Kanes we popped over to Union Square Donuts. This shop is GORGEOUS. It has everything your heart could want: original wood floors, exposed brick, and the perfect scent of donuts.





The glazed donut here was so sticky--almost enough so that it was impossible to eat. They had an orange mango donut that was nothing short of heavenly. And, for added bonus points, a donut breakfast sandwich that was so perfectly balanced, I almost forgave them for the sticky glaze. 



Donut mind me--just dreaming of round two.

Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram