About six weeks ago I finished one of the most incredible books. Now when I tell you what it was about, promise you'll stick with me...

I read a book about salt. Funnily enough, the book is called Salt: A World History. A friend recommended it to a friend a few months ago and it piqued my interest so I picked it up.

GUYS. Salt runs the world. Salt directly caused, paid for, or influenced the following:

  • The Great Wall of China
  • India's independence from Britain
  • The phrase "when it rains it pours"
  • The oil industry
  • The Erie Canal
  • Beyonce (ok, not really, but probably)
What impressed me most about this book wasn't all the little facts, but the idea that something so every day and mundane could have affected the world in massive ways. Just think, the little crystals in your shaker bottle paid for a wall that can been seen from space. That's incredible!

Sometimes I feel like I'm the table salt, with a small life. A good life, but a small life. But there's a whole lot more to table salt than meets the eye. And it's the same with people. So don't stress about your table salt moments--there's more to them too. 


Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram