We've all been there. We're waiting at the doctor's office and the receptionist announces that they're running 20 minutes behind. You look around at the stack of outdated magazines on the coffee table and then spend the half an hour scrolling through your social media feeds.


One of my very favorite things about my mother is that she's rarely found without a book. She literally takes one everywhere: work, doctor's appointments, grocery shopping. Everywhere. When I got to college I started to do the same thing. I bought a big purse and dumped a book into it almost every time I walked out of the house.

We spend so much of our time waiting and just sitting. John Adams said, "You will never be alone with a poet in your pocket. You will never have an idle hour." I think Mr. Adams would be ok with my extending that to include all written word. A good book is like having a good friend in your pocket all the time: All of a sudden those 20 minute waits will be something to be relished rather than dreaded.


PS: If you're looking for a good book, I just finished We Two by Gillian Gill about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert--amazing!

Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram