Like many people, I pick one word at the beginning of the year to focus on for the next 365 days. This year's word is contentment.

As the year is already a quarter of the way over (how?!), I figured it was time to check in. On the whole, I would say this, yes, I'm happier and more content than I was 100 days ago. I've been grateful for the chance to focus more on seeking contentment and joy.

When I first chose this word, I knew that I wanted gratitude to be a prominent component of my joy. So I started a gratitude journal. I walked to Harvard Square and bought the most beautiful mustard yellow Moleskine day planner, but instead of filling it with dental appointments and last-minute shopping lists, I filled it things I was grateful for on each of those days. The first week of January was fairly routine: I wrote the standard things we all think of when doing a gratitude exercise. All things that I really am grateful for and that make up the fibers of my life, but they didn't require any deep digging on my part. By the end of January my daily entries looked different. I was beginning to express gratitude for things such as misty mornings that remind me of my favorite Jane Austen novel, an opportunity to receive constructive feedback, and a phone call that came at just the right time. I was starting to notice all of these little things that has so often been overlooked.

While I was noticing the incredible amount of blessings in my life, something else was happening too. I noticed that I was changing as a person. I was kinder, quicker to forgive and seek forgiveness, more liberal with praise for others, and more motivated to try harder to be better. Mary Davis, the CEO of the Special Olympics, said, "Gratitude makes everything grow." I've seen that principle be fully operational in my life as I've made a gratitude a focus these past few months. Everything has been amplified and made fuller. And I'm happier 🙂


1 comment

  1. Hello Angela. I am a Pastor from Mummbai, India. What a blessing to know you and get connected with you a young lady who is passionate about Donuts, books and many stamps on the passport which means wanderlust. I am also impressed by the word you have chosen for this year "Contentment". I believe it is a thoughtful and prayerful choice of the word. Yes the life in the Lord Jesus Christ is the life of contentment. To learn this in our young age is some thing that you live with your rest of the life. I love this. When the Lord called me for the full time ministry from my secular job, I had made commitment with the with the Lord that I will be content in what ever situation the Lord keeps me. The teaching of Paul in Philippines 4 where Paul speaks of his own experience and I prayed to the Lord to keep me content while I serve you and the Lord has kept me content. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. WE also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with you friends to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. god's richest blessings on you, your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2018. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram