In preparation for Europe I knew that I needed a larger make-up bag. I have shopped for a larger one, but they're always too expensive, too larger, or too small. Since I haven't found exactly what I wanted, I decided to make my own--sewing machines are so useful! 

I know that I would need to install a zipper to make the bag that I wanted. I had never done a zipper before and I was a little nervous. I didn't know there was such a thing as a zipper foot for your machine! I spent a little bit of time reading blogs and watched a few tutorials before I felt confident enough to give it a go. I found this great bag here and starting cutting my fabric. I liked that this bag had a liner in it. I wish I had chosen a different fabric for the liner. I just used a scrap of gray cotton left over from a pillow I made. Next time I think I'll use more of a traditional liner fabric, one of those silkier ones, ya know? 

My first side of the zipper was rough, but I figured a few things out a long the way:

  • Always put in a top stitch in along the side of the zipper after your initial stitch. My first stitch to attach the fabric to the zipper was crazy crooked, but adding the top stitch hid it all and made a nice finish.
  • Sew with the zipper down. This will make things easier as the zipper gets closer to the needle. You may need to unzip the zipper too to get past the needle. 
  • Finish the ends of the fabric that are going to be right next to the zipper. I didn't do this and when I went to turn my bag right-side out there were threads everywhere. Finishing the edge would have prevented this for sure. 

All in all, I would say it was a successful project and I got exactly what I wanted!

Post a Comment

© Angela Lopez 2014. Powered by Blogger.

Instagram